Who does not enjoy a good long hot bath after a tiring day? Baths do more than just soothe and relax your mind after a tough day– they can actually improve your health. The practice of hydrotherapy, also known as water cure, dating back to the ancient Egyptians. People have felt the therapeutic effects of water, as hot springs and bath houses have always been places of healing and relaxation for both body and mind. Here’s a list of just a few of the wondrous benefits of taking a hot bath:
- Improves Blood Circulation: Soaking in a bath of hot water helps the blood circulation of your body. Your body has to regulate internal temperature after being submerged in hot water, and this encourages enhanced blood flow. The warm water makes blood vessels dilate and encourages your heart to pump more vigorously, allowing for more circulation to your extremities. Soaking 2-3 times a week in a hot bath can prove to be marvellous for your heart health.
- Helps with Weight Loss: Hot baths might be a great practice for those looking for weight loss. New studies have shown that taking a hot bath could potentially burn as many calories as a work out. Your body burns calories by regulating your body temperature and even lowers blood sugar. Of course, baths should not be relied on for weight loss, but they are a great addition to a healthy lifestyle.
- Relaxes the Muscles: It’s obvious that hot baths feel great on your muscles and joints. The water will warm up your muscles and joints and help ease any discomfort or soreness. It can also be helpful to move and stretch while soaking in their warm baths as this can improve muscle health without the risk of injury.
- Calms Your Nerves: In this hustle bustle of life, hot baths can be a really good stress reliever and some much needed alone time. Hot baths can really soothe and calm your nerves, especially when paired with aromatherapy by adding in essential oils. After a hot bath, you’ll feel relaxed, and you’ll be able to get a great night’s sleep
- Improves Your Skin: Apart from the great health benefits hot baths provide, they cater to your skin needs. A good old hot bath can help open up your pores, and flush the toxins out of your skin. Try adding in some coconut oil, along with a few drops of your favorite essential oil blend. Your bath water will feel silky smooth and luxurious, and so will your skin. You can pamper yourself even more by moisturizing your skin right after your get out of the bath with some rich shea butter body lotion.
With the numerous health benefits, you won’t find any reason not indulge in these more often. Even if you lead a busy life, taking just a few minutes to soak in the bath can give your mind and body the reset it needs. Make time for the wonderful act of self-care by taking a hot bath tonight!